Dave, Bella, Bono and I went for a walk with some friends today. We walked along the bike path behind our home to a small bridge over a creek. Dave was in charge of watching Bella and I had Bono. Bella went to the railing of the bridge and was just looking, but I had warned my husband that she would throw things over the edge and into the water. He didn't seem worried. After another minute I heard Dave say "oh no". Bella had thrown her sippy cup over the edge. Everyone just looked down in shock, all I could say was, "told you so". You would've thought then Dave would grab whatever else she had available to her to throw, but nope and of course next went over her binki and blankie. Yikes. Yikes. And I must emphasize that the sippy cup that went into the dirty, mucky water was her only one she would drink out of. And the blankie that went in was her most favorite. I thought all was lost and I, of course, was extremely upset.
That was when Dave and our friend Dan went down to the waters edge with Bono. Bono had just been groomed the day before so he was wonderfully clean and trimmed. Now, I also need to remind everyone that I have been on the verge, SEVERAL times, of getting rid of Bono, even going to the length of putting him on craigslist. Bono also does not understand the concept of fetch. Well, sometimes he does, but mostly he will chase after whatever you threw, get to it, look at it and look at you and then just leave it there - because he is that smart. But today, today he was my hero and he saved Dave's hide!
Dave took Bono off his leash and told him to "go get it". I thought there was NO way he would understand and was just going to go play so I started walking back to the house with Bella, Carina and Juliet. I was done and angry. All of a sudden I was hearing "good boy" several times and I looked over the edge and Bono had the handle of the sippy cup in his mouth and was swimming toward the shore. Next was the blankie, he went after it, but he hit it with his paw and it went sinking into the mirky water and we couldn't see it from above thus lost forever. (Bono is not a good swimming, a bit bottom heavy) Last was the binki, which is small and was surrounded with weeds, I didn't think there was a chance that he would understand to get it or even be able to find it. Not only did he find it, he retrieved it as well. It was amazing!! I had no idea he was even capable of such heroics!
We came home and of course Dave gave him a bath (that mirky, creek/swampy water is really stinky) and we gave him some treats and extra love for his good behavior. He is simply amazing and somewhat redeemed a special place in my heart. I am sure he will still make me upset with his non-perfect behavior, but I know he is capable of good things too.
8 comments:
Seriously hilarious!! Too bad about the blankie, but at least Bono was able to save most of it.
Yeah Bono!!! AND lucky Dave ;) I can definitely understand a child's great love for specific blankets/toys. I have a niece that won't even leave a room without her blankie ;) SO glad Bono was particularly helpful today.
Yeah Bono! That's one reason I keep my dogs around, for the hope that someday they'll do something super great like that (and so far they're aren't terribly naughty and still fun to play with).
Yay for Bono! That was pretty awesome, glad you documented the momentous event :) And thanks for having us over. It was so much fun!
Unacceptable. 2 out of 3 is still 66%, which is a D. I can help you make a very convincing (an slightly misleading) craigslist ad if you want.
But let's not lose sight of the real issue here. Although it isn't recommended, I could also help with an ad for Bella, too.
Great story! I guess you will have to keep Bono forever. You did miss the transvestite biker though who just happened to be naked. We called the cops and reported him or her. I am sure he will be back!
Wow, that's amazing! Good story.
Ha, I would've been pretty upset, too! Dads seem to be a little more carefree (careless?) when it comes to parenting, huh? :)
Freaking awesome.
Post a Comment